Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My New Ring Sling!

Awhile back, Hubby banned me from buying more carriers to wear my babies. He didn't however ban me from buying fabric (although he probably will once he reads this post)! Which is how my adventure of sewing baby carriers began.

Several months ago, I was at our local surplus and salvage store and found a beautiful 100% organic cotton for only $2.99 a yard!! I grabbed it with the intention of eventually making a ring sling out of it. Months later, I finally sat down and worked on it.

I have a Maya Wrap that I absolutely love for wearing itty-bitty babies, they're great for nursing, sleeping, and they support them really well! The one that I have is a darker color that doesn't work well in the heat of the summer, so I've been determined to make a new one. On their site, I conveniently found a pattern to make their slings!!

After ordering some rings, I quickly got to work and succeeded in making myself a new ring sling!

I ended up paying about $12 for fabric and rings for my sling. If I had purchased an organic sling from the company, it would have cost $95! For only a few hours of work (mostly spent fending off a very curious two year old) it saved me an awful lot of money. Perhaps that's why Hubby hasn't banned me from buying fabric...

Disclaimer: I tried to get Peter to model the sling with me, but since he hasn't been in one for awhile he was constantly yelling "uck! uck!" (translation: stuck). I instead resorted to using one of his stuffed animals.

1 comments:

Teresa said...

Danielle it looks beautiful! You should consider starting your own cottage industry, I bet you could make organic ones yourself and sell them online for a good profit~ I would certainly want to buy one from you when I have kids :)

~Teresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...