Thursday, August 25, 2011

We Don't Vaccinate *GASP*

Thérèse will have her two month check up next week and with that, I will soon be having the dreaded conversation.

Doctor: "We'll be starting the first round of immunizations today."
Me: "Actually, we have chosen not to vaccinate."
Doctor: "Could you please justify this decision so that I can continue to roll my eyes and tell you how irresponsible you are and no matter what you say I'll grudgingly have you sign a waiver form."

I definitely dread bringing my children to the doctor, but I have educated myself and we feel as though we are making the best decision for our children.


So why don't we vaccinate?? 
  • There really hasn't been enough research done on the side effects of all these vaccines.
  • Have you read the ingredient lists!?!
  • Why are we, the human population, so scared of being sick?
  • We know too many people who have had a reaction from a vaccine.
Research of Vaccines
I have read and read and read countless articles trying to make a decision on how we would handle immunizing our children. What I have found is the majority of research and testing done is by the pro-vaccine side, the Center for Disease Control and other government agencies. I would like to see more research done and published by independent sources.

Ingredients
We look at product labels when we eat our food, but how many people actually sit down with the ingredient list for every vaccine they give their child? Live Viruses, Aluminum, Mercury, Aborted Fetus Tissue (yes, an aborted baby!), Monkey kidneys, etc. There are some companies that make vaccines without some, but not all, of these ingredients. Don't just go with the brand that is convenient for your doctor, research and see about ordering a slightly safer alternative.

What's so wrong with being sick?
I'll begin by saying, I know that it isn't fun to be in the hospital hoping that your child lives. I thankfully have not been in this situation, but I can only imagine how awful it would be. But what's so wrong with being sick?? Our society is so afraid of suffering that we can't even deal with having the flu. Sure, it isn't fun but chances are you won't be hospitalized for it. We all had chicken pox as a kid, now we can't bear the thought of our own children having it? The mumps can potentially sterilize a male, but that's a far cry from death.

I do have to admit a fear of Pertussis (whooping cough). This has awful effects on babies. I have actually considered getting my little ones vaccinated against this. Why haven't I? You cannot simply get a vaccine for Pertussis, you have to get one with Tetnus and Diphtheria as well.

Side Effects
Many children become irritable and have fevers after being immunized. In fact, my doctor's office recommends giving children tylenol before they receive their shots. Why do we not see a problem with this? Although it is a minor reaction, it is a reaction just the same. If their little bodies are creating a fever it means they are fighting off something. Who knows what it is causing on the inside.

I have heard many people talk of their own children having serious reactions: losing mobility, contracting the disease they were supposed to be immunized against, acquiring allergies and asthma, etc. Hubby actually started having all of his allergy problems (needing daily allergy medicine and at one point monthly allergy shots) after receiving a Tetnus booster. Now we don't have any "medical proof" of this, but it's reason enough for us to stay away from the Tetnus vaccine unless we have serious reason to believe one of our children is at high risk of contracting the disease (ie. stepping on a rusty nail).

We came to our decision after researching each vaccine and disease individually. I didn't one day decide that all vaccines are bad and that we would never under any circumstance get them. I ruled each one out individually based on side effects and the dangers and likelihood of contracting each disease. With this said, I do watch my children very closely when they do get sick to rule out a possible disease that we have not vaccinated against.

With this decision I have taken several precautions. I exclusively breastfeed my children and never give a bottle. I always have the goal of breastfeeding until at least the age of two (unfortunately my milk seems to dry up with pregnancy, so Peter was weaned at 21 months). This gives them as many antibodies as possible for the future and if they do indeed catch something while they are still nursing, my body can help them fight off whatever disease it may be. My children do not attend daycare and will be home-schooled. I am not doing this for the sole reason of not vaccinating, but I would probably have different views on whether or not to immunize against some diseases if they were going to be around so many children on a daily basis.

On a side but related note, my children have never had a sick visit to the doctor. Sure, we get some fun little colds and stomach bugs, but we have never had an ear infection, strep throat, conjunctivitis, or any other childhood ailments.

For further reading, I recommend "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Sears. It clearly discusses each vaccine, it's ingredients, known side effects, and the disease associated with it. The book even has a revised vaccine schedule that has taken into account all ingredients that could possibly react with one another.

5 comments:

Anne said...

you need a less-lame doctor :)

Masha said...

You really should switch doctors if you're having so much trouble with your's. Yarrow's doctor is 100% on board with few or no vaccines and is amazingly supportive of all our choices. There are a lot of good Doctors who have broader views. Unless you get a kick out of arguing, you'd be better off with someone else.

SimpleWife said...

I did have a doctor that was fine with my choices, but he has recently left the practice to "pursue other endeavors." I'm trying out a different doctor at the same practice. We'll see how it goes. I haven't been too successful in finding anyone around here that is completely on board with my crazy ways ;)

Colleen said...

Masha, I'd love to know who your doctor is (and if he/she is in our plan). We have been vaccinating because it hadn't really come to our attention until after the initial ones were given. But we don't do flu shots anymore and are rethinking continuing with some others. It may be too late at this point, but it would still be nice to have a doctor that doesn't find it odd that, for instance, we drink raw milk and believe that it has contributed to our being illness free for the past year.

Masha said...

We drink raw milk too! It's amazing! Danielle, you should try it, I know sometimes a dairy sensitive baby is not sensitive to raw dairy.

Our Dr. is Paul Balzer, in New Gloucester, he's a family practice doctor, not specifically a pediatrician, but he is 100% supportive of little or no vaccination, breastfeeding, and avoiding medications whenever possible. Very Holistic. I don't know what insurance policies he takes, as we don't have insurance, but he's very affordable even without insurance.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...