Monday, October 4, 2010

Spicy Kielbasa Soup

I have a bunch of kielbasa in my freezer that I've been trying to use, so I decided to make a soup with it. We ended up with Spicy Kielbasa Soup. It would probably be delicious with celery and red peppers, but I didn't have any on hand.

Hubby, who does not eat zucchini, said I could make it again. Coming from Hubby, that's success in my book.


Spicy Kielbasa Soup

1/2 pound kielbasa, sliced
1 medium-size onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth (or bouillon cubes)
1 can (15-ounces) black beans or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed, diced, or crushed tomatoes
1 small fresh zucchini
squash, sliced
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (add more or less on "heat" preference)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In a nonstick skillet, cook kielbasa over medium heat until lightly browned.  Add the onion and garlic; cook an additional five minutes. Add and stir chicken broth, beans, tomatoes, zucchini, carrot, parsley, red pepper flakes, and pepper; cover and cook on a low simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.

Makes 5 (1-1/2 cup) servings

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...