Sunday, September 4, 2011

Creating A Clean Home


I have recently been looking at our home and wondering how I could possibly keep it perfectly clean. I have tried to always make sure every object has a "home." The problem is, I've run out of space for each object to call "home." We have become over crowded by our stuff.

My solution? Get rid of stuff! Everyday, I have tried to go through one corner/drawer/closet/something in our house. I've reorganized and have decided what can be donated and what we really need to keep. I have a constant pile accumulating for Goodwill!

How many toys do the kids really need? There were some that hadn't been touched for months, I'm sure another child might enjoy them. I organized the kids' bookshelf, which resulted in two garbage bags for donating. My bathroom drawers were overflowing with hair products, baby towels (tutorial for the towels that I make and use instead!), expired medications, etc.
My new basket for diapers
Now, I have reduced so much that I was able to dedicate one drawer specifically to toilet paper! I've organized so many corners in our living room, I decided to rearrange all of our furniture just so I could have a better space to store our diapers!


How do I make sure everything stays tidy?
  • When I leave a room, I grab something that belongs in a room that I'm walking by or through and put it away on the way to my destination. 
  • If I see Peter is no longer playing with something, I pick up behind him. After seeing me do this, he's starting to figure out that he needs to pick up after himself. 
  • Every night, right after Peter goes to bed, I spend 15 minutes picking up so I can wake up to a clean house.

My biggest motivation has been remembering that I only need to organize one space per day. I'm currently looking at working on our bookshelves next. We have three, but I'm thinking of reducing them to only two. Can I do it? I think so.


But today's Sunday and the bookshelves can wait until tomorrow.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...