Monday, October 10, 2011

No Bottles Please!

Sometimes I think I really confuse people with my "crazy" lifestyle choices. Okay, so maybe I'm a little crazy, but I do have a reason for everything I do!

I'm the girl that:
  • Always wears a skirt. "Does that girl even own a pair of pants!?!"
  • Enjoys labor (yep, I absolutely LOVE childbirth...the natural, unmedicated type)
  • Will home school my children and they won't be socially awkward
  • Dreams of having a house full of children (8, 10, 12, lots of babies!)
  • Has never and will never touch any form of contraception, yet I'm not constantly pregnant
  • Won't give my babies a bottle or a pacifier, in fact I wouldn't even know how to prepare one!
So maybe I am kind of nuts, but I would never want to change the way I live my life!
Who can resist these pudgy cheeks??
With a new baby, the thoughts of breastfeeding are always on my mind. My little girl constantly needs me to help sustain her life. Yep, I'm that important. Without me, she could not exist.

Why do I not give my babies bottles or pacifiers? I spend nine continuous months with each of my children. All day, everyday, through sickness and tired joints, while they are safely guarded and growing within me. Some days I dream of allowing my husband to take over for just an hour, yet that is impossible. I like to think of infancy as a slow weaning process. Babies need milk to survive. I can provide that. Just because a child is no longer in my womb does not mean that they no longer need me for their survival. As a woman I am naturally equipped to take care of my child's every need. Sure, it's draining and I do enjoy that my husband is now able to hold the baby,  but just because we are no longer physically connected doesn't mean that I am not a necessity in my child's life. When my baby is hungry, I am there. Always there. To strip a child from this natural weaning process breaks my heart.

Am I opposed to people who give their child a bottle? Of course not. There are reasons why a bottle is a helpful tool, but they are far too over used. To give a child a bottle immediately after birth without ever making an attempt to breastfeed, that's just a selfish choice. Our society has perverted the breast in such a way that women feel ashamed to feed their children. Those that do choose to breastfeed feel forced to hide their children under blankets, sit on a public toilet, or they risk being on the local news for "offending" someone. If my baby is hungry, I feed her. No need to stare or feel as though I am scandalizing the world. It is the introduction and common place of the bottle that has scandalized and stripped babies of the most important thing necessary; their mother.

1 comments:

Masha said...

So..a couple things stood out to me here:

~I would love to know exactly why you choose to wear skirts all the time, I recently discovered the variety of reasons behind many women's choice to avoid pants, and I'd love to know yours.

~Please remember that you are only semi-in-control of your children's social awkwardness. There are many personality traits, emotional issues, and levels of social developement that affect how socially awkward or not a person is. So you can try to socialize them properly, but even with all your work, they can grow up to struggle in society.

~I always worry when people begin to lock themselves into a niche, i.e. no bottles ever, because it implies being closed to adjusting to necesssity. I'm sure this isn't what you're doing, but it might do better to clarify.

...btw, I loved childbirth too. Of course, it was wicked short and easier than most people seem to have, but still. I really loved it.

Blessings,
Masha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...