Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Equality of Men and Women

While I was substituting today, I observed a lesson on Martin Luther King Jr in a 5th grade special education classroom. I was impressed on how it was conducted, but it took a twist when comparing people of color to genders. The students were asked whether men and women are equal. It was interesting to see how some of the students got really into it and obviously started saying things that they hear at home about the topic. This is such a hot topic in today's culture, that I figured I would share some of my own responses.

Men and women are not equal. Equality means "the same" and physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, we are very different. Yes, we are all human beings but God created us to be different in terms of gender. We compliment eachother in all aspects of life, the marital embrace is such a beautiful representation of that. If we were created to be "the same," this wonderful aspect of life would not work. Beyond that, women are blessed with the opportunity to bare children while men are called to support their wives.

Women in the workplace is an entirely different thing. I do believe that everyone should be paid equally for their work regardless of what gender they are. However, this should not keep a woman from staying home to raise her children. In today's society we are a materialistic world only focusing on how much money we can make while sacrificing time with our children. This has forced families to feel as though they cannot survive unless both parents are working.

I could probably go on and on about this subject and never really show my true feelings towards it. I just thank God everyday that He has blessed us all with a gender so that we can continue on our paths in life the way that He intended.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that! I feel obliged and privileged to stay home with my daughter to raise her rather than let others do my job. It burns me when people say that not everyone is "lucky enough" to do that. It's not just luck. We sacrifice, but it is worth it. And so many others could, but don't.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...