Monday, November 7, 2011

Munchy Monday - Homemade Salsa

Salsa, nothing complicated about it. Then why am I sharing a salsa recipe? Well, because my sister came over and made a HUGE bowl full and we devoured every. last. drop. You know what? Even Peter enjoyed a large amount of it! If it's good enough that my super picky 2 year old will eat it, it's worthy of the blog.


Salsa is completely relative and you can add as much or as little as you would like. Here is what we did.

Nine...yes, NINE Roma tomatoes. Why Roma? They're meatier and super tasty! Why nine? Because we're little piggies when it comes to salsa. Dice as small as you can. The smaller, the better. You want the chip to get as many little tasty pieces of veggies as it can!

One green pepper. Seed and chop just as small.

3/4 of a large red onion. A red onion makes all the difference! There's a trick to cutting these that my sister just taught me today. If you don't care about this whole salsa thing, memorize this onion cutting method. I can't believe I never thought of this!

Peel the onion and cut across, but NOT all the way through.
Cut in the opposite direction to create small, perfectly diced sections. Brilliant! Now why didn't I think of that???

You can add a jalapeno pepper as well, but we decided to keep the salsa as kid friendly as possible.

Mix in a teaspoon of dried cilantro (it's cheaper than the fresh stuff, but that would be great as well!) and 1/4 cup lemon juice. And enjoy!!

How did we eat our HUGE bowl of salsa? By the spoonful, with chips, and I even made a baked potato!

I think I'll make an omelet for breakfast with the small amount that we had left...


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...