Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Thrifty Tuesday - Infinity Tube Scarf Tutorial

Have you seen these Infinity Scarves? They're apparently really popular right now. My sister sent me a link to one and asked if I would make one, or two, or three, or...I'm sure she'll keep bringing fabric over and asking for more. Perhaps she'll read this tutorial and start making them herself!
Note: No matter how much this looks like me, I swear it is my sister.
These are actually extremely easy to make. So easy that it's really a waste of money to go out and buy one. Want to know how to make it? It only takes 2 straight stitches!!

Buy 1.5 to 2 yards of 40 inch wide fabric. Check the clearance section, you never know what great things can be found there! Cut in half the entire length of fabric (it will be 20 inches wide). This will actually make 2 scarves. If you don't mind an extra seam, you can buy 1 yard and sew the two pieces together to create a 2 yard strip.

Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, right sides together. You should have a strip of fabric that is now 1.5 to 2 yards long that is folded to be 10 inches wide. Pin and stitch along the long side. I give myself a typical 5/8inch seam allowance.




Turn the scarf right side out. The seam you made is now on the inside. Take both open ends of your tube and pin right sides together. You will NOT be able to pin the entire way around.


Stitch along the pinned edge. Once again, you will not be able to stitch the entire way around.

Push this stitched edge into the scarf. You will be left with a small opening. Hand stitch this closed.

You now have an Infinity Tube Scarf for a fraction of the cost!

You can even wear it as hood! Note: This is a different fabric from the first Infinity Scarf that I made.

Also my sister, not me.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...