Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Dried Beans Made Easy

In honor of Soup Season, I spent my morning preparing my dried beans. I used to use canned beans merely for their convenience. When I started to compare the prices of the canned beans to dried beans, I knew I had to make the sacrifice and extra effort to start buying dried beans. Since last soup season, I bought 25lbs of kidney beans and 25lbs of black beans. Now, I'm stuck...there's no turning back!

I always found the worst part of dried beans was not being able to use beans to create a dinner in 30 minutes. You have to soak them, cook them, it just takes forever! It was then that I decided to enlist the help of my freezer. I now soak (and drain) them ahead of time and freeze in portion sized bags. I then use them just as I would a normal can of beans.

Convenient and cost effective!

2 comments:

Andi Haubenreich said...

Brillant! I am going to try this.

I love your blog, by the way. Please share more slow cooker/ soup recipes.

SimpleWife said...

I'm hoping to buy a new crock-pot this weekend and then I'll add more recipes.

Hubby hasn't been home much for dinners, his job is mostly in the afternoon/evenings, but I'm looking at a Zucchini and Apple soup for a meat free Friday meal! We'll see how it turns out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...