Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Homemade Yogurt - In the Crockpot!

I love making my own yogurt. It's less expensive and you don't have any added sugars, preservatives, and weird ingredients. I have used a yogurt maker which didn't make quite enough yogurt, there were too many containers to clean, and it just wasn't worth the space in the cupboards. I came across this recipe, which uses a crockpot, about a year ago and haven't gone back!

Things you'll need:
  • Half a gallon of milk (I use whole milk, but my mom has great results with skim)
  • 1/4 cup of store bought yogurt (plain, not flavored). Make sure it has "Live-active cultures"
Add the half gallon of milk to your crockpot and cook on Low for 2.5 hours.
Turn off the crockpot (do not open the cover) and let sit for 3 hours.
Remove approx. 2 cups of warm milk and stir in the yogurt. Only add 1/4 a cup, anymore than that and you'll have the opposite effect: runny yogurt!
Add the milk/yogurt mixture to the crockpot.
Cover the crockpot with a bath towel (to insulate) for 8-10 hours.
VOILA!! You have yogurt!

A few notes:
- Be sure to save 1/4 cup of yogurt for your next batch. You do not need to buy yogurt every time.
- If you would like a thicker yogurt, add powered milk to the milk when you first start the crockpot. The amount depends on your preference, start with a cup and experiment with future recipes. I do not personally use any, but my mother loves it (could be the different milks that we use).
-To flavor your yogurt, add granola, fruit, maple syrup, or anything else you can think of. I add whatever comes to mind when I sit down with a bowl.


Wait until you see the homemade cream cheese that I'm currently making from my yogurt!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Can you use raw milk?

SimpleWife said...

I don't see why not. I haven't tried it, but raw milk is better than pasteurized when making cheese. I bet it'd work. Let me know if you try it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...